Constitution Description: “It shall be the duty of the Senate District Chair to convene the Senate District Convention (following the procedures described in the Call) and preside at meetings of the Senate District Central Committee and Executive Committee. The Chair shall attend meetings of the State and Congressional District Central Committees. The Chair shall also perform all other duties incident to the office.”
Position Description: The Senate District Chair has the responsibility to lead Senate District 58. The Chair must have the ability to organize, fundraise, provide direction, work well with others and ensure district goals are being met. The Chair is a representative of the Minnesota State Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party and should be well versed in the Official Call and the Constitution and Bylaws of the DFL. The Chair must uphold the constitution, bylaws and endorsements of the DFL.
Specific Job Duties:
- Call and convene Senate District 58 conventions, including overseeing the planning and execution of the convention.
- Preside over organization of precinct caucuses including recruiting conveners, reserving handicapped accessible locations and ensuring adequate public notification.
- Organize and preside over meetings of the senate district Executive and Central Committee including establishing the proposed agenda and providing member notice at least two weeks prior to the meeting.
- Represent the senate district as a delegate at state DFL Central Committee meetings as scheduled.
- Represent the senate district as a delegate at monthly Second Congressional District DFL meetings.
- Support DFL endorsed candidates.
- Act as the main local contact in the district for campaigns and the state DFL office.
- Appoint committees to carry out party activities including fundraising, publicity, volunteer recruitment, candidate recruitment and GOTV.
- Work with the district Central Committee to develop a budget and district goals.